The Story Of IDENTITY (2007)

In 2007 I was picked up by an indie label out of Arizona on a development deal to do a record. They had heard a lot of my techno stuff and wanted me to do a hard rock record. I was requested to write 6 "radio friendly" rock tunes and be ready to fly out to Arizona in two weeks. We recruited the musicians together which all lived in Arizona. One was already a good friend of mine, the rest I had never met. The first sessions included a great young drummer named Scott. There was one song though, the title song IDENTITY that I just wanted something different so I recruited a second drummer named JB.
JB was very well known around Arizona and had a sponsorship from a major drum company so the label could only afford him for a song or two and tracked him on a second version of IDENTITY. I also brought in my buddy Scott to do some lead guitar parts and he came up with the unique break in the song EASY. The bass player for these sessions turned out to be a bit sub-par so we dismissed him and I landed up doing the bass parts on the 6 main songs. 
As the sessions went on, I began to form friendships with these guys and one night I had an interesting idea. The record company was only footing the bill for the 6 songs, but I really wanted a full album, so one night I rented out another studio myself and invited the guys to an impromtu jam session. I told them we were just going to jam for 2 hours, without any pre-thought-out chord patterns or anything, just roll tape and jam. Everyone had a great time and the next day, I met with the owner of the studio and we went thru the tapes and I came up with 5 instrumentals and we mixed them. 
The last day of this incredible 2 week experience, the label sent a limo for me and the label's owner. We cruised around Phoenix listening to the final mixes and stopping for lunch. It was an awesome ending, and I went back  to Palm Springs and took the 6 songs, 5 instrumentals and compiled what became the album. I consider it a wonderful part of my vast and diverse catalog. 


Comments

Popular Posts